It is agreed that the mental well-being of every individual has been compromised during the pandemic. Beginning from students, who have missed out on valuable years which could have been dedicated to practical learning, to professionals who were unable to express their skills freely because of multiple restrictions imposed. It was unavoidable, and no amount of determination can make a wider school away, but there is a solution to even this. Innovation, motivation, and adapting qualities of people. Years of evolution have shown us that we can adapt to a lot of things, in the process some physical and mental aspects might change, but the idea is the same, to survive and excel, or at least try to.
So, how did we bring self-care into view? And why is it important for adapting to the environment, and why the importance of mental health has been at the top of the priority list? Let’s get to know it all.
The meaning of self-care
Self-care, in totality, means so development properties in a professional which helps them to physically as well as emotionally to remain fit, overcoming stressful situations with a positive outset. It could be practiced only through patience, and determination to do better. If all fails, seeing a therapist or psychiatrist is the best option. Because let’s admit it, sometimes a vacation cannot fix everything, and only make you crave for more time. This shows you’re drifting away from your profession, and it’s never a good sign because being separated from your passions will cause you to spiral down into bad self-care practices.
Sitting in front of a video API, or education app gets very stressful. Some commonly faced situations that can disrupt a teaching professionals mood or as follows;
- Poor Internet connection and digital device compatibility cause frustration.
- Being in isolated conditions, unable to interact with other people beyond an education app.
- Lesser sense of practicality and limited opportunities through video call api.
- Long hours of teaching the same concepts with no response or enthusiasm from the students.
- Poor performance of students, either due to the negligence of their importance of self-care or due to lesser motivation to study.
- To bring a change in your classroom, you need to focus on the need for your self-care first.
How to practice self-care
You can do it yourself, even in as harsh conditions as the present times.
- Try to engage in activities that you have always enjoyed, and if it relates to being outside, you could try out a time when the streets or park are less crowded. For example, if you cannot go exercise at your everyday spot, find a new favorite spot as the next best alternative. These activities are different for everyone. Don’t be afraid to pick up a new hobby, if that makes you feel good!
- Maintain regularity in the activities, and enjoy even the common course by spicing it up a bit.
- Play some music in your house! Any kind of music will do, if you are not interested in lyrics, simply play classical hits summer your favorite Beethoven, Chopin, or Bach.
- Compliment yourself often, and encourage yourself whenever you start something new. Trying to make a question paper for your students to upload in the education app? Put in some fun activities, ask them to sketch an extra credit point. This way you can allow your students to feel good, and look at wonderful scribblings at the end of their exam or assignment sheets.
- Notice the small changes in your life that make you happy, and continue doing that but never feel bad for dropping an activity. You might have another work sometimes, and it is alright to practice your hobby is once a week, and you can look forward to this day every week!
Seek professional help
You have more than three options available, but the most prominent ones are seeking a therapist, group counseling, and a professional psychiatrist. As you feel the need, never hesitate from seeking help because it will allow you to be better at your work, impart education to all your students and help them out besides yourself. A small step is all it takes for you to entirely heal one day.